Air Canada Baggage Allowance Guide
- 1 FREE Hand Baggage
- 1 FREE personal item
- 55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm
- MAX 10 KG Weight
Allowed Items for Air Canada Baggage Allowance
- Carry-on bag, roller bag, backpack, briefcase,
- Laptop computer,
- Cat or small dog in its carrier,
- Airport shopping and duty-free purchases,
- Sport racquet
- Camera bag,
- Garment bag
- Musical instrument.
AIR CANADA Onboard Personal Allowance
Here are examples of items you can bring on board in addition to your carry-on allowance:
- Coat or another outer garment,
- Small purse measuring no more than 25cm x 30cm x 14cm (10in x 12in x 5.5 in).
- Larger purses will be included in your carry-on allowance.
- Infant care item (e.g. diaper bag),
- Child restraint device
- A small electronic device such as phone
- Snacks or food to eat on board:
- All food must be wrapped or in a container.
- You may not consume your own alcoholic beverages on board.
- Always purchase liquids after you’ve passed the security checkpoint.
AIR CANADA Checked Baggage Allowance
1st Free Checked Baggage Bag
MAX Total Size 158CM
MAX 32 KG Weight
Please refer to Air Canada’s checked baggage calculator to determine your free checked baggage allowance, as well as any additional fees.
More information from AIR CANADA Baggage Allowance:
The following items are allowed at all times, in addition to your carry-on allowance:
- Mobility aid
- Container carrying life sustaining items,
- Medication in its original, labelled container,
- Battery-powered medical equipment and Personal Oxygen Concentrators,
- Cremated remains
- Syringe or needle for personal medical use
AIR CANADA Carry On Baggage Security
Passengers traveling with liquids or gels in containers over 100mL/100g (3.4oz) that are placed in carry-on baggage will have these items confiscated at the security checkpoint.
Passengers with connecting flights are advised not to purchase liquids or gels in containers over 100mL/100g (3.4oz) within the secure area at the airport or on board the aircraft if they do not have:
- access to their checked baggage between connecting flights. and
- room in their checked baggage to pack their duty-free purchases before rechecking their bags for their next flight.
To view Transport Canada’s detailed list of items prohibited from carry-on baggage, including liquids and gels, please refer to the CATSA website
AIR CANADA Prohibited items
Sharp, piercing or cutting objects
- Straight razors and razor blades
- Sharp-tipped scissors
- Box cutters
- Knives of any length
- DIY TOOLS
- Ammunition and firearms.
- Fuel, lighters
Air Canada Prohibited Electronic devices
The use of the following electronic devices is prohibited at all times onboard
- Wireless mouse
- Bluetooth headsets
- Radio transmitters
- Radio controlled equipment or toys
- Printers and computer peripheral devices
- Laser pointers
AIR CANADA Carry On Accepted items
Air Canada Accepted electronic devices
- Certain electronic devices which are permitted on board with restricted use, such as:
- Mobile Phones & Tablets
- Personal entertainment devices (MP3, iPods, portable games, radio receivers, video cameras)
- Laptops. The corded mouse and the Memory Stick are the only peripheral devices permitted during flight.
- Electric shavers
Passengers may be asked to turn on their electronic device at the security check.
AIR CANADA Carry On Other Accepted items
- One book of matches per passenger
- Butane (Bic-type) lighters.
- Ice skates, skateboards
- Sharp-tipped scissors with blades measuring 6 cm
- Small tools with a head and shaft measuring 6 cm
- Tools of any size
- Restraining devices
- Electronic cigarettes
AIR CANADA Pets and other special items
Car seats and strollers
For detailed information on transporting these and other related items, please view the Travelling with an infant/child page.
Cats and small dogs
Cats and small dogs are accepted for travel in the cabin. View rules, restrictions and charges on our Pets in the cabin page.
We will try to accommodate smaller musical instruments as part of your carry-on baggage allowance provided they do not exceed the maximum allowable size and weight permitted for carry-on baggage.
You can store your wedding dress in the overhead bin provided it is within the carry-on baggage size restrictions (23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm – 9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in). The dress should be stored in a garment bag and should be folded in half to reduce wrinkling.
Air Canada Lost & Damaged Luggage
Air Canada is not liable for any item lost or forgotten on an Air Canada plane or in another Air Canada area.
Contact Air Canada Lost and Found and complete Lost and Found Form
- Call Air Canada Central Baggage Office at 1-888-689-2247 (within North America) or your local Air Canada office if you are outside North America.
Air Canada Damaged Baggage
If, before leaving the airport, you notice that your baggage has been damaged, you should notify an Air Canada Baggage Service counter. If you have already left the airport, Air Canada strongly advise you to return to the airport with your damaged baggage, ticket and baggage tags to report the damage.
Proof of damage, presented in the form of photographs of the baggage with the baggage tags on the baggage, photographs of the damage, tickets and baggage tags, must be reported to Air Canada Baggage Claims at the latest within 7 days from receipt of the baggage.
Air Canada Excess Baggage Fees
These are the rates to check luggage on Air Canada on routes between the United States and Canada.
- FIRST BAG $25
- SECOND BAG $35
- THIRD+ BAG $100
- OVERWEIGHT $75
- OVERSIZED $75
More Air Canada Excess Baggage details: visit the Air Canada website.
Air Canada Baggage Allowance Tips
- Save Baggage Weight by buying Lightweight Luggage
- To avoid Air Canada Excess Baggage Fee, weigh your luggage using Scales
- Save baggage space by ‘Zip and Roll’ Clothes
Remove the following Items from your Air Canada Baggage:
- Liquids and gels over 100 millilitres
- Flammable liquids, such as oil-based paint or lighter fluid
- Sharp objects, such as knives
- Self-defense items, such as bear spray
- Explosive materials, such as fireworks
- Chemicals, such as bleach
Air Canada Baggage FAQs
What is AIR CANADA Hand Baggage Allowance?
1 FREE Hand Baggage, Max Size: 55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm. Max Weight: MAX 10 KG
What is AIR CANADA Checked Baggage Allowance?
1st Free Checked Baggage Bag, Max Size: Total Size 158CM, Max Weight: 32 KG Weight
What are Air Canada Excess Baggage Fees?
FIRST BAG $25
SECOND BAG $35
THIRD+ BAG $100
More information AIR CANADA Baggage Allowances & Sizes: