Air Canada Baggage Allowance Guide
Who is Air Canada?
Air Canada is the flag carrier and the largest airline of Canada.
Flying with Air Canada on an upcoming flight?
Discover everything you need to know about Air Canada baggage allowance, weight, sizes & weight:
|Standard Carry-on||Personal Carry-on|
|Maximum size||23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm|
(9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in)
Wheels and handles included.
|16 cm x 33 cm x 43 cm|
(6 in x 13 in x 17 in)
|Maximum weight||10 kg (22 lb)||10 kg (22 lb)|
|All destinations||Carry-on baggage allowance:|
1 standard article and 1 personal article
Allowed Items for Air Canada Baggage Allowance
- Carry-on bag, roller bag, backpack, briefcase,
- Laptop computer,
- Cat or small dog in its carrier,
- Airport shopping and duty-free purchases,
- Sport racquet
- Camera bag,
- Garment bag
- Musical instrument.
AIR CANADA Onboard Items Allowance (Personal Items)
Here are examples of items you can bring on board in addition to your carry-on allowance:
- Coat or another outer garment,
- Small purse measuring no more than 25cm x 30cm x 14cm (10in x 12in x 5.5 in).
- Larger purses will be included in your carry-on allowance.
- Infant care item (e.g. diaper bag),
- Stroller –
- Child restraint device if a seat has been purchased for the child/infant,
- A small electronic device such as cell phone or MP3 player.
- Snacks or food to eat on board:
- All food must be wrapped or in a container.
- You may not consume your own alcoholic beverages on board.
- Always purchase liquids after you’ve passed the security checkpoint.
- See guidelines for liquids.
More information from AIR CANADA Baggage Allowance:
AIR CANADA Baggage Allowance – Special items
- Mobility aid
- Container carrying life sustaining items,
- Medication in its original, labelled container,
- Battery-powered medical equipment and Personal Oxygen Concentrators,
- Cremated remains
- Syringe or needle for personal medical use
AIR CANADA Carry On Baggage Security
Passengers traveling with liquids or gels in containers over 100mL/100g (3.4oz) that are placed in carry-on baggage will have these items confiscated at the security checkpoint.
Passengers with connecting flights are advised not to purchase liquids or gels in containers over 100mL/100g (3.4oz) within the secure area at the airport or on board the aircraft if they do not have:
- access to their checked baggage between connecting flights. and
- room in their checked baggage to pack their duty-free purchases before rechecking their bags for their next flight.
To view Transport Canada’s detailed list of items prohibited from carry-on baggage, including liquids and gels, please refer to the CATSA website
AIR CANADA Carry On Baggage Prohibited items
Sharp, piercing or cutting objects
- Straight razors and razor blades
- Sharp-tipped scissors
- Box cutters
- Knives of any length
- DIY TOOLS
- Ammunition and firearms.
- Fuel, lighters
Prohibited Electronic devices
The use of the following electronic devices is prohibited at all times onboard
- Wireless mouse
- Bluetooth headsets
- Radio transmitters
- Radio controlled equipment or toys
- Printers and computer peripheral devices
- Laser pointers
AIR CANADA Carry On Accepted items
Certain electronic devices
- Certain electronic devices which are permitted on board with restricted use, such as:
- Mobile Phones & Tablets
- Personal entertainment devices (MP3, iPods, portable games, radio receivers, video cameras)
- Laptops. The corded mouse and the Memory Stick are the only peripheral devices permitted during flight.
- Electric shavers
Passengers may be asked to turn on their electronic device at the security check.
AIR CANADA Carry On Accepted items
- One book of matches per passenger
- Butane (Bic-type) lighters.
- Ice skates, skateboards
- Sharp-tipped scissors with blades measuring 6 cm
- Small tools with a head and shaft measuring 6 cm
- Tools of any size
- Restraining devices
- Electronic cigarettes
AIR CANADA Pets and other special items on board
Car seats and strollers
For detailed information on transporting these and other related items, please view the Travelling with an infant/child page.
Cats and small dogs
Cats and small dogs are accepted for travel in the cabin. View rules, restrictions and charges on our Pets in the cabin page.
We will try to accommodate smaller musical instruments as part of your carry-on baggage allowance provided they do not exceed the maximum allowable size and weight permitted for carry-on baggage.
You can store your wedding dress in the overhead bin provided it is within the carry-on baggage size restrictions (23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm – 9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in). The dress should be stored in a garment bag and should be folded in half to reduce wrinkling.